FOOD MARATHON

...the only type of marathon I will ever run.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Bar 107

Downtown LA has been the mecca of gentrification for the past few years. New bars, lofts and restaurants have been opening every week with many more to come. Unfortunately for all the new spots, Bar 107 (one of the original gentrified downtown destinations) is still my favorite bar downtown (and possibly in all of LA). Not just because they serve Miller High Life (the champagne of beers) on tap. Not just because they serve tallboys of PBR ("Fuck Heineken! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"). Not just because they ring a bell when the bartender is tipped well. And definitely not because Roller Derby Doll Emma Geddon arm-wrestled my friend after we spent a long day at Santa Anita and bar crawling downtown. (May I add that Emma was drinking Jameson and Sambuca and chasing it with Guiness).
No.
I love Bar 107 because of the loud punk music. I love Bar 107 because I've been there after midnight when a patron brought their dog... to the bar. I've been there with Harvard Business School students and I've been there on Cambodian rock music night. I've been there when all the guy's jeans were tighter than the girl's jeans and I've been threated to be "fucked up" by a guy who found Jesus and swore he wouldn't "fuck people up anymore." The mystery and the music, the bimbos and the booze...it's never a bad time at Bar 107.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Passionate Eater said...

I just read the premise of your blog... Great and hilarious idea! I wanna run a food marathon too! Also, your mention of "Pabst Blue Ribbon" reminded me of cheap beer, 48oz glass bottles, and college.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger jiji said...

cool blog!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Food Marathon said...

sigh.... college. I'd give up every meal I've posted about to start college all over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home