FOOD MARATHON

...the only type of marathon I will ever run.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Kassava's Carribean Kitchen

I live walking distance from a lot of good restaurants, but most are very similar. Between Le Pain Quotidien, Cuvee, Newsroom, Jack & Jill's Creperie and Breadbar, brunch options are covered. Then Loconda Veneta, Orso, Il Cielo, Gardens at the Four Seasons and The Ivy take care of the expense account meals. So when Kassava recently opened serving inexpensive home-style Carribean food I took note. It's still in its infancy but is starting strong.
The space is simple and warm.
They're aiming for lunch and dinner business, as well as take out and delivery with a menu of soups, salads, sandwiches and meat/veggie-based stews and curries. Plastic silverware and plates keep costs down with the highest priced item topping out at $18.95 for the conch stew. Average entree price is $12.95 with 3 dollars off each at lunch.
I chose the fresh mango juice to start. When it gets cooler out I'm definitely going for the pumpkin soup. For dinner I chose the spicy curry goat which comes with rice, beans, sweet plantains and cabbage.The meat and potatoes were succulent and prepared with love. The sides were fine, but nothing to write home about. The small container of spicy cabbage on the side was like curry coleslaw and worth eating straight. Overall a very pleasing dinner.For dessert some mini red velvet cupcakes. In these cupcake-filled times it's hard to beat some of the high-end confectioners, but there's still time to make adjustments.
Overall I'm happy about the new addition and will be back throughout the fall and winter for the hearty, home-style cooking.

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the only Q remains: do they have jerk chicken cooked over open fire?

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Kassava a couple of days ago. I must say that parking is a nightmare in that area! I ordered the Brown stew chicken and by far it was the best I've tasted in Los Angeles. The seasoning was amazing and I could tell they used alot more vegetables in that stew than other restaurants. They are priced the same as other carribean restaurants and it seems like they give smaller portions of meat than others. Its like you trade quantity for quality. Overall I was impressed.

Pros - It's a nice quiet cozy little place, The people are very friendly and the food tastes great

CONS- parking sucks, smaller portions of meat

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to kassava and had a smothered-baked chicken, it was yummy!! I even took some home, the portion was pretty big. I will go back , my friend is raving about their pumpkin soup, a must try she said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home