FOOD MARATHON

...the only type of marathon I will ever run.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Origination of the Food Marathon

Recently the LA Times, the Travel Channel and the Food Network have been doing stories on food trips; where the restaurant is the destination. Famous Fat Dave even takes you along in his cab for such a trip. This is my story:

In November of 1996, I returned home to Los Angeles from Madison,
Wisconsin. I was about three months into the best years of my life.

College at the University of Wisconsin was as cold and beer-ridden as
you would expect, and I loved every minute of it. Unfortunately the
menu of bratwurst and cheese left a lot to be desired.

So, I was home for the long Thanksgiving weekend, which only left one
day of freedom from family, errands and much needed sleep. I met up
with a few friends who were also home visiting family, and we were
stuck with one of the worst dilemmas a college freshman could face;
In-N-Out or Henrys Tacos . Or Yuccas. Or Tommys. Or any of the other
countless, greasy, west-coast-only establishments that serve up
different variations of meat and cheese delicacies.

The unanimous decision was to make a marathon out of it and stop at
each place. As everyone knows, the key to lasting through a marathon is
pace. To keep a safe pace we chose to eat one item from each
restaurant/stand. Thus began the Food Marathon.

Since the initial three-stop marathon, we've expanded and specified the
course. We've done a Mexican-food-only marathon, a San Fernando Valley
marathon and an LA Weekly Best-Of Issue marathon.

Stay tuned for posts about the past two marathons (the '50+Miler' and 'NYC Chinatown').

This blog will not just be about Food Marathons, however we're very excited for the ten year anniversary in a few weeks. Much more to come...

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Food Marathon,

This is Rasa Malaysia. Thanks for adding me to your Blogroll and visiting my site.

Do come back often and leave me your comments. :)

Happy blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home